Monday, March 8, 2010

Smells like spring

You know that smell? The mixture of mud, grass, and all sorts of animal shit thawing out after a few months of preservation. That is exactly what I smelt today on my 3.5h ride. I rode along the Welland river, then north out to Silverdale, east through Lincoln, St. Catharines, and Pelham. After just over 2h I found myself gasping for air on Saylor's Hill. Once at the top, I still had a good hour to go so I decided to do a lap of the Niagara Classic loop and then take the long way back home through Fenwick.

Today was the start of my Base 1, so I decided to shed the wool socks and heat shell. Just thermal gear under my bibs and jersey and it was perfect. I was only a bit cold on the downhill into Rockway that is shielded by the sun. The wind was pretty cold, but not a single cloud in the sky made up for that.

Oh and I've been itching to get this rant into writting for a while. It has been written countless times "I broke my leg but good thing my bike isn't damaged". To me, this defeats the whole purpose of training in the first place. Why do we train ? To get our BODIES to perform the best they can. How the hell are you going to that when you're not even able to ride. If I was about to get hit by a car, I would throw my bike in front of it over myself any day. I don't care if I was riding a beaut with full Dura-Ace Di2 or my dad's 1970 Sierra mountain bike with all original parts including chain, tubes, and tires.

There, I wrote it. Feel's good. Long lonely rides tend to let the mind wander.

No comments:

Post a Comment