Saturday, March 20, 2010

First official spring ride

It seemed as though I would be slacking today when I slept past my 6:30 wake-up by 5 hours. I was going to ride with the St.CCC, but today was not a day to be on the road bike. I got word on the SHCC forum that the trails in Port are dry, by 1:15 I was on my way.

I started with a nice loop around Mud Lake before continuing towards The Hood. I was planning on doing some Freezer laps and see where it goes from there, I found 2 trails that weren't rideable but easily by-passable. I must have ridden some trails 5 or 6 times, most notably the Cliffhanger trail. The bottom was flooded so I rode the top part at least 6 times. There was a steep gravel hill that wasn't part of any races there but it was part of a by-pass of the lower Cliffhanger trail, I did a good 5 reps on that hill.

I was only down 2-3times, one of them was a pretty good superman. I'm surprised at how well I was able to handle the bike today (for me anyways) after being away from the trails for a while.

Each time I started off for a modified loop I had a different objective. One time it was to stand and power through every climb, another it was to continue pedaling at a steady cadence and make use of the gears. The trails were just insane, summer-like conditions I'm tellin ya. Completely different than what's goin on in the North. It was around 5 degrees out today but in the trails it felt more like 20. I felt it on the way home though, nice big headwind all the way home to end a sick ride.

Got in about 5h today, 4 of which was on the trail.

Just gettin in as much fuel as my body will take right now to see if I can wake up in time to ride with the St.CCC, always a quick pace on those rides. That would make a good 4-6h day. Hopefull the rain will hold off just a little bit longer so I can squeeze out one more trail ride from this crazy weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment