Sunday, December 6, 2009

We are speedskating shaved legged men

So it's almost 1am right now and I just got back from work. Suprisingly can't seem to fall asleep and decided to do a post since I actually have alot to talk about.

Starting from yesterday, I had set my alarm to go for an early morning ride before heading out to Hamilton to visit a friend. Woke up around 11am and it turns out my mom thought I needed the sleep more than the riding so she did me a favour and shut the alarm off for me... much appreciated. After brutal instructions on how to get to Hamilton on the Coach Canada buses from the Welland terminal, of course, we ended up getting to McMaster U at about 5. We spent 4 hours of travelling/waiting to get to a place I can ride to in a couple hours. We got bored and what a great idea we had ! I let it slip that I was contemplating on shaving my legs or not, well the decision was made up, my 2 best friends (who happen to be girls and experts in the leg shaving department haha) were going to shave my legs. After going through 2 razors and half my left leg done we missed the bus and were almost stuck in Hamilton for the night, but we made 'er home.

Onto the most epic day on the saddle ever! Planned a ride with Andrew De Cal in the morning that I almost bailed on but manned up and got a couple coffees and some breakfast in me and I was out the door. She was cold today let me tell ya. A quick stop at his house again for some sandwich baggies and we were gone, everything was great; rodes were dry, sun was almost out and we had a good pace going. Many good blog-worthy photos we could have taken if we had a camera. When we got to NOTL the ground was covered in snow, stopped at Tim Horton's on Cliffton Hill for some ground brew and a muffin when we were asked if we were speedskating, hmmm yeah right down Niagara Falls. Haha, it was a funny moment but we explained that our silly attire kept us warm while we were on our bikes. The closer we got to Ridgeway/Fort Erie the more snow there was. We even seen a couple snow banks. We got onto the Friendship Trail which was pretty sick, lots of tight turns and super dry. By the time we were halfway to port we were riding on a mixture of ice/water/snow piled 3 inches high. This is starting to sound like our dad's stories about the walk to school being uphill, against the wind, in 10 feet of snow both ways but it was insane. After a quick stretch I couldn't clip back in so we stopped for some more coffee and off we were again facing the worst Mother Nature can throw at us. When we got into Port we were both pretty exhausted, Andrew peaced because he wasn't feeling too well at all, no kidding, when it's your first long ride in three months and you're faced with that. He still had to show me how to get home though because the direction signs aren't translated into french for me. Got home with about 160km done today but it felt like 600. Can't say that I have ever done a century in December before. I don't recall much from when I got in the door because about 3km after me and Andrew parted ways I hit the same wall he did. I do remember eating everything in sight though.

The worst part of it all was that I had to work in an hour washing dishes in a steaming hot kitchen. After alot of trips outside for some fresh air and near-vomits I made it through the shift and now I am really starting to feel tired. Later.

5 comments:

  1. You two are insane. It's the off season there's no reason to be doing centuries lol.

    Your legs are going to be so itchy tomorrow. But you'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An unforgettable ride for sure. Glad to hear you made it all the way home, but I knew you would with the determination you had all ride. You were very strong mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not an "off season", but rather base training for 2010 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's never an off-season for us !!! lol
    I'm tryin to get into shape for the Hesepeler cx race, we still down Rob ??

    Legs arent that itchy today, shea butter is the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I'm still planning on racing. It's going to be an awesome day.

    ReplyDelete