Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It came down to Handlebars CC v. St.CCC

Another good Tuesday night race, the pace was quick from the start with a few attacks on the first half lap. The climb up Saylor's didn't hurt so bad because Kerton, Moote, Watt and myself got the first one out of the way in warm up. Who am I kidding, my legs were screaming at the top and Etzl was feeling good so he took off. From then on it was attack after attack, surge after surge, everyone wanted to get a good workout in.

On the last lap there was a 6-man St.CCC train of pain goin on as we approached the Hollows so I attacked to break that up, it ended up working out and with Chown taking the switchback like Armstrong it was our turn to bring the pain. The climb up Hansler hurt as we made our way through the C and dropped B riders, I thought I was dropped but I dug deep and caught back on. This also happened coming through Sulfur Spring. I'm not very good at racing on gravel.

Coming onto Metler (last road before turning left onto Effingham) Noah launched a beauty attack and was quickly building a gap, his team mates played it smart as I was too gassed to chase and they weren't going to be giving no free rides. Chown told me to go, but I was loosing steam, for some reason I got a second wind a few seconds later and surged real hard in an attempt to bring Noah back. By this time the only people left of the 15 or so guys who started were 5 St.CCC racers (4 juniors) along with me and Chown. I knew Chown would have a much better sprint up Saylor's then I would so I tried the best I could to bring the pack back together. It worked, sorta, as we were closing in, Holtzman attacked and brought the pack back together without me. So I was popped off the back chassing as hard as I could up Saylor's, ended up catching Holtzman but the rest were gone.

Not a bad race at all, felt good and my top end is existent for the first time in a while. Albion this weekend... pumped.

Lots of chicken shit to shovel tomorow and 4x6min intervals after... not so pumped.

2 comments: