Monday, October 19, 2009

That guy doesn't feel pain

Woke up this morning knowing that the ride that was to come was going to hurt... BAD. I was about to go on a ~120km ride with the unofficial winner of Paul's Dirty Enduro (he ended up getting second because when he got to the finish and he had made a wrong turn and had to go back) Andrew DeCal. The plan was to ride out to Grimsby and descend/climb Woolverton then ride a bit further into Hamilton and descend/climb Fifty and McNeilly. We had a tempo going on agaisnt a crazy strong wind, we were holding in the 32-36 range. 32 when I pulled and 36 when he pulled. Woolverton was super-tough and after skiding off the road while descending McNeilly I realised that this was probably going to be the hardest climb of the day, that and Andrew told me it was. The view was so sick at the top of the climbs, you can see Toronto perfectly across Lake Ontatio.

By the top of McNeilly I was dead, we headed to Woolverton and went back down to stop at a convenience store to fill up our bottles. We switched bikes for a bit so I can try out his new Q-rings and they are pretty neat, almost tempted to get a set myself. On the way back he was ready to do some tempo again, I wasn't haha. He had so much left in the tank while I was running on fumes.

When I got home I realised that this guy is going to be the guy to watch out for on the road and the trails because... he feels no pain.

6 comments:

  1. Thats a solid training ride, no wonder you guys are so fast.

    I think that kid is already someone to look out for. It shouldn’t be to long before he’s at the top of the top. But you know what? You’re not to far behind. I look forward to watching you guys work your way up the ladder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot, I'm hoping to be a good work horse for him when I get stronger. Not in the marathon challenges though, like I said... he feels no pain haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two had better upgrade to S3 early in the season; I have no chance with you sandbaggers sitting in S4 lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plan is to upgrade ASAP, maybe they will let us go before the Niagara Classic ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty sure on the road you can check off S3 when you go to get your license for 2010 and they won't question it. I know guys who never raced S4 at all, just started in 3 because they were fast enough. Incidentally this is what I plan to do if the OCA lets me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know, thanks Jeff. I've never done am actual road race so maybe starting in S4 would be better. I'll talk it over with Andrew and see what we come up with...

    ReplyDelete