Friday, October 30, 2009

Starting Physiotherapy

After 5 days of rest, ice, heat, and rub-A535... nothing. My knee feels exactly the same, checked out the anatomy of the knee in my syllabus, the symptoms and the pain situation confirms patellofemoral syndrome. This is the most common 'overuse' injury among cyclist (25% are affected at some point). Different articles all have a different point of vue, but physio is always highly recommended. Surgery is not an option for me that is why I gave up running, this is not going to happen with cycling.

Another thing that confirms it is that I have done/do most of the main causes:

1) Too much too fast early in the training program; I was trying to get in 4-6h rides 5-6x a week. I was told by my second set of parents (Nat and JF) that injury would come of this. Of course, I didn't listen.

2) Excess side to side swinging of the knee during downstroke; Noticed this a few times on rides but didn't think much of it. "In more than 80% of cyclists with patellofemoral pain had excess side-to-side swinging of the knee during downstroke" (Owen Anderson 1979). An old source, but still relevant.

3) Bike Fit; bought the bike and never got it fitted

4) No stretching; I never stretch before or after a bike ride. Stretching is said to help prevent this from happening.

I am going to make an appointment with a registered chiro/physio, but until then I'm going to try the stretches and strengthening plan I made. Starting a self-made physiotherapy program is probably another one of those great ideas I have, but it won't hurt... I hope.

I think that the Firemen's Park CX race this weekend is out of the question, but should be a fun event to help out with. Never thought I would be helping out at a bike race that I could be racing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment