Saturday, October 24, 2009

Man vs. The Elements... and Directions

I was planning on doing the NOTL loop that I had planned to do yesterday today. Left the house with no spare tube, co2, money, extra bottles or riding partners. Maybe not the best idea I've had but I was determined to ride even though the clouds made it seem like there was a storm coming in I wasn't going to rest today. I only had two water bottles for the ~100km route so I had to be like a camel, the crappy weather helped alot for this. 25km in my right knee started bothering me again, I convinced my self I can ride through it and I did. When I was almost in Niagara-On-The-Lake I realised that the street signs weren't matching my plan. A stop for directions and I was back on my way, made another wrong turn and climbed up to where the Brock monument is but I figured this out on my own. One more stop for directions confirmed I was heading for Lakeshore road and from there I knew where I had to go.

Heading out I had a good tailwind, after 45 minutes this shifted to a massive crosswind and the wind never stopped shifting after that, but never in my favour. I almost got hit in NOTL twice! People don't know how to drive there, they think that no matter what cars always have the right of way. One lady tried to make a left hand turn across my lane because there were no CARS coming from either direction, nice. Fall brings all the leaves down from the trees and the big winds bring them straight in my face really really fast haha. With 95k done I was out of water and still had roughly 10k to go, not bad. When I got home and felt like I had just accomplished something pretty sweet, still a little pain in my right knee. Hopefully it passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment