Saturday, February 13, 2010

Tour de Niagara

Since our epic journey in December where De Cal and I attempted the circle route and had a brutal bonk we decided that sometime before spring we would get revenge with our cross bikes. Today was that day.

He got to my house and, once again, I was not ready. He got my dad going about his fishing so I knew that would buy me as much time as needed. After I was convinced by my dad that Super 88 was the best kind of electrical tape to fix my bootie and 8 different sets of directions on how to get to Port Colborne we were out by 11. We had a good tail wind out to Port Colborne and hit a dead end where we were on an island in the middle of the canal. We could make our way back to a bridge OR use the ice as our own personnal bridge. We, by we I mean De Cal, decided to cross. A couple of rocks were thrown and it passed The De Cal Safety Inspection. We rode our bikes out on the canal which was a pretty cool feeling and gave some more insaneness to the ride. Passed through the Hood and memories of hitting every single tree possible were flashing through my head. This was one of the toughest stetches because our tires forced us to cut through the snow instead of the preferred flotting method.

We rode the tailwind at a good pace through amazing country roads, we even seen a guy riding a horse, and took the highway right into Fort Erie. Quick stop at Tim's for some caffeine and fuel and we were off to Niagara Falls. Working together we managed to keep a great pace into Cliffton Hill where we stopped at Tim's for the same reason as the last stop. Maple Peacan danishes are the shit. From NF to Niagara-On-The-Lake we worked together again to climb like mountain goats right up to the Brock Monument. Down she goes from there.

The stretch from NOTL to St. Catharines was filled with cross/head winds and false flats. There were very little words spoken, just the occasional "holy shit !" We took Queenston road back to St. Catharines and parted ways before I was left to climb the Locks alone before making my way back to Welland. I used a quick cadence rather than force to climb the hill. Something was goin on with my back wheel, it sounded like a spoke was going to snap. Still don't know what it is, I fear that I will find out soon enough.

I can go on for days about how sick this ride was. Never thought I would get in such a powerful 6h ride in when it is below freezing and race season doesn't start for another month and a half. The vues on this route are amazing, a camera will be on the checklist next time we ride The Tour again. Hopefully it is before spring because everything around The Falls looks crazy sick when it is frozen.

Tomorow's plan is a 3h mtb ride with The Coach and his boss. Hopefully get to ride the Short Hills, it's been a while since I've ridden those trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment