Monday, February 8, 2010

Post-race triathlon

I needed a good workout to put yesterday's mishap behind me, what better way then a winter triathlon. Well, my version of one anyways.

The Run: Got home from class, had a second breakfast of oatmeal with banana, crushed walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Got a couple layers on and laced up the runners. I decided not to wear my orthotics today and see what gives. Ran the Steve Bauer trail so if the compartment syndrome were to kick in then it wouldn't be too far of a walk. Somehow, someway, I managed to run for a full hour and not feel any "bad" hurt. Explored around Pelham and found a sick cross country ski place where there are trails running along cornfields and figure 8 loops around several joined cornfields. Got back into my neighbouhood with 56min so a little loop around the field at the end of the street gave me my full hour.

The Ski: Same attire, some water and a vine of grapes later and I was in the backyard learning how to xc ski. I've never even been strapped in to a pair so I'm surprised I even got that part right. I was also surprised how quick trees come at you and my complete inability to stop. I've hit more trees in the past 4 days alone then I ever have. Once I was confident I could get moving I brought them over to the Steve Bauer trail and rode up and down a little 200m section a few times. Just wanted to get the hang of it because I plan on going back to that place I found on my run sometime this week for a good hour, mission accomplished.

The Bike: Back home for some more fluids, dried off the outer layer a bit and threw a lasagna in the oven. It takes 2 hours to cook and the planned route was 2 hours, beauty. I am out of cytomax so I decided to make my own drink; water, salt, and half a lime squeezed and dropped in. I was pretty scared to drink it because salt water tends to speed up the "exiting" process, but all went well. Got on the cross bike and before I can make it to the canal path I get a call from a friend who is locked in her bathroom. U-Turn and I was off to the rescue on the Guru-Mobile. Braved the busy roads to the canal path and rode that out to DeCew and then Cataract road back home through Pelham and back on the Steve Bauer trail.

Great day, the sun was shining and no clouds in the sky. Just what I needed.

1 comment: