Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pavement is overrated anyways

Heading out to Sunday's group ride I found another nice stretch of road that got chewed up, at this rate the cyclocross training in the fall will be prime. Going super fast on gravel sounds awesome on some knobby tires, not so much on 23C bald ones. Well, I guess it is fun, but the only thing I keep thinking of is grit getting in to where it shouldn't and the rocks chewing up my tires that I will soon not have the funds to replace. Every ride I've gone on for the past 2 weeks I've seen at least one new stretch of road that got chewed up, some much worse than others.

Sunday's ride was good, I considered the mtb but I knew I wouldn't have the punch for the short/steep climbs at the Hood. The course requires barely any fitness but you'd have to pack a good punch on the climbs to get away if you can't do so in the ST, come to think of it, they're much too short to actually get away so it all comes down to skills in the ST haha. I'll post up a better description of this year's course tomorow if I don't have to work. Anyways, Sunday's ride, good pace through Wainfleet/Canborough and good echelon on the way back. A good 4 hours to top off a 22ish hour week, the hours weren't extremely high but it was all about the time spent at/above threshold.

Yesterday was pretty much a blur, my boss thankfully had too much paper work to do to get any work done outside so I had the day off. I was up early with the dog but after that I slept/ate then it was today. I slept through the whole stage yesterday and woke up just in time to see bbox guy on the podium then I think I fell back alseep. Would have been a good stage to see, as well as today's, going to get updated on what happened right after I post this. I think I read something in the paper about Pelham resurfacing a bunch of roads but I can't remember, maybe it was a dream.

Today's workout was pretty tough, just over 3 hours (100km) with plenty of sprints on the way to the club race. The pace was pretty high but still not where it should be but considering the cadets, Max and myself were pretty cooked from the week before I guess we did alright. There were so many attacks just nothing that would stick and the pace was a tad slow to sit in for too long but it was a bit too hard to stay off the front for a while. Wolfgang rode crazy strong again this time showing his TT skills out front. Sprint was alright, I started a bit late and by the time I got in my 53-11 it was too late and I didn't have enough ground to get up to the top guys or, even better, out front. I was tempted to just keep going to try and see how fast I can go even past the imaginary line but it was a little too tight to open it up. Oh well, I had a good wheel going in to the sprint just started a bit too late, one step at a time I guess.

My biggest weeks are now behind me and I'll be focusing on intensity until the xc provincials, gotta get some top end and sustainable power to race 150km with the big boys at Elliott Lake and if I want to even think about a top 5 in mountain biking, oh yeah, some trail skills would help too. Okay, so technical skills and intensity it is for the next 4 weeks or so then some big volume weeks before my next big chunk of racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment