Sunday, July 4, 2010

Need water... and sugar!

I've been looking forward to a weekend off for quite some time now so I can put in two solid rides back to back with none other than the St.CCC. And two solid days it was.

Yesterday was climbing, we held a tamed pace until Quarry rd. and I decided to test my legs early on so I launched at the first steep chute, I wasn't feeling too good but I got a good gap fast and held a quick pace until a fellow member bridged, it didn't take too long for us to get caught and I thought I would loose the leaders completely but by the top I made my way back to the front, Perry was gone though. Mountainview and Park are great climbs and it always helps to be in a strong group pushing a good pace with attacks to top it off. I was riding clean in the echelon but started to feel the dizziness that I would feel at the top of the climbs, I knew I was dehydrated. How dehydrated? Well, I drank about 3L of water when I got home and my pee was still dark yellow. I had some munch and passed out on my bed still wearing the see-through Handlebars CC kit and all, minus the riding shoes. I woke up three hours later feeling like I had a hangover but I knew I was in need of some calories.

Eat, drink, sleep and before I knew it it was 6:15am and the dog was up waiting to be taken outside. Can you believe he's only 6 weeks old and he has yet to pee or poo in the house? I made a good effort to get some fluids and calories in me before heading out.

The pace was good heading out to Wainfleet and the pack split in half with the A's heading as far west as Abigdon. I was still feeling the effects of dehydration but not nearly as severe. The echelon was quick but some didn't realise how far we had left to go, everyone worked hard, I saw David Jack attack on the left so I took the gravel shoulder on the right and dug deep to bridge the gap he quickly created. By the time I caught back on to him the group was swallowing us up, amazing how hard you have to work to catch a TTist. Chown shielded me from the wind for a while so I can attack and give it a good go, and that's what I did, I would have liked to drag a few with me because there are no breaks when you're solo. I was caught and shelled and faught hard to latch back on, I had nothing in me for the sprint. You didn't even have to ask how the group felt once we got to Tim's, the look on Rob Visser's face explained it pretty well, cooked.

I was in need of some sugar fast, to be taken care of by a large ice cap. I had mine with choco milk despite my intolerance, there is barely a gulp in there though. How much lactose do you think there is in an ice cap? I guess I'll find out in a couple hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment