Thursday, July 22, 2010

Big draft, but it has a tailpipe

Yesterday I had the day off work and it went pretty similar to Monday but with a little more pain going up and down the stairs to get to the fridge. I knew I had to take 'er easy after Tuesday's effort following a nice big week.

That feeling in my legs carried over to this morning when I was playing with the dog at 6am, I knew work was going to be tough. The birds leave tomorow and I'm missing the first two days of barn cleaning because I'll be heading to Wiarton on Saturday to save a 4h drive the morning of the race. The unwritten rule is that to show you're sorry for leaving when there is so much work to do is, of course, to do work, lots of work. Cut some grass, pulled some weeds, cleaned some feed bins and ate some delicious food right from the property from 9-4. The best part about pulling weeds today was that it was the row right beside the green peppers so every now and then I'd pluck one off for fuel and keep on going, beauty.

As I was leaving the farm I did a quick acceleration on my mtb and my legs had absolutely nothing. I had some oat meal, grains and a banana and headed out for the ITT. It was the annual old school TT so no aero stuff was allowed, Rick took it one step further and sported his 1970's bowling shoes (it's what they look like) on his bianci 7 speed with dt shifters and all so he gets big props for that. He was my minute man and he held me off until under 3k to go, I saved a bit too much for the end because I was feeling somewhat good at the pace I was going and didn't want to start feeling bad again. I put the hammer down and caught my 2, 3 and 4 minute man before sprinting in my 53-11 on the slight downhill finish that makes you feel very fast. Lost to Max by 33sec for the title but I was happy and surprised I had some power despite feeling so brutal for 2 days.

Max's dad motorpaced us on the way home with his truck, I was not expecting this but how can you turn down a free 50km/h draft? I cracked before he did but we made it pretty far considering we used alot of fuel just 10 minutes before that. I was considering hopping on the mtb tomorow and heading South for a lap of the CDMBR course that I was too cooked to do Wednesday, we'll see what the legs say. I need some points so I've got to be nice to them for the next couple of days. I'll defenitely be watching the stage tomorow, haven't seen one in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment