Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Soy Milk

Just having a big bowl of vector cereal with a cut up banana at the moment, I can't really taste the difference between regular milk and soy milk so that's alright I guess.

I finally made my way out to Woolverton today for the first time since March or April, I wasn't expecting to climb much today since Max said he wanted to go for 140-150km steady. I'm glad we somehow came to a workout plan that included a few escarpment climbs because I wanted some sort of comparaison to my early-season form.

We kept a good pace heading out, caught a good draft off a small school bus for a while but he turned left and we were heading straight, very sad. Got to the bottom of Woolverton in under 2 hours, first climb is always the worst. We stayed along the top to Hamilton, down and up Fifty, felt very good. Pushed a good pace and didn't feel any weakness sprinting up the last switchback. The roads were a little damp so I was a little nervous heading down but all went well. We thought there would be less wind at the bottom so we stayed down to get to McNeily, there wasn't any less wind. I was surprised the rain was holding off for so long, just a few sprinkles here and there but nothing compared to what those massive black clouds could unleash. I pushed a little too hard at the bottom, had a massive gap on Max but by the last switchback he had realled me back in. I still had enough left to upshift and sprint over the crest, I wasn't feeling too bad at all.

We made our way over to Dewitt, the bottom part of the climb was through a subdivion, Dewitt itself is a one way street so we stayed up top until New Mountain. Just before heading down the rain had started and it was coming down hard, the drops actually kind of hurt. Both climbs were pretty similar, no big pitch changes just steep the whole time. Now we were stuck in the middle of a storm somewhere in Hamilton with very little fluids left in the bottles. Made it to Tim's in Smithville on fumes and refuelled before making our way back home. The rain stopped for a bit and it got warm for about 18 seconds then the rain started again. Shorts and T was still a good choice because it was pretty humid.

If we would have gotten out a little earlier I might have tried to head over to the tuesday night race but we got back at 4, a little too late. Now that I think of it, I don't think I would have even had the legs to make it out to the start line after that 5h ride. I love days off work, tomorow isn't looking like it's going to be one. That's cool, easy distance anyways.

1 comment:

  1. I finally brought your tires to a tuesday nighter but you wern't there. Next week.

    ReplyDelete